Under the direction of the Outreach Committee, Appleby has always had a very strong Outreach program. We continue to be a Church very much concerned with helping our neighbours, near and far, by raising funds and providing countless hours of volunteer work in partnership with many organizations and initiatives, including the following:
Wesley Urban Ministries We strongly support the work of caring for the marginalized in downtown Hamilton, Ontario. According to StatsCan, Hamilton has the highest poverty rate of any Canadian city.
Our involvement with Wesley projects include:
- Christmas & Holiday Store - donating new gifts and food, and providing volunteers to support Wesley's dignified shopping experience for those in need.
- Share the Warmth Project - during the winter months we collect new pyjamas, gloves, toques, and scarves for distribution through Wesley and Our Community Cares.
- Participating in Case for Kids Annual Walk, Run, Ride to end child poverty.
Our Community Cares - A Rent-Geared-to-Income Housing Development in Burlington
Appleby supports this local community by assisting with the The R.O.C.K. (Reach Out Centre for Kids) Summer Programs, knitting groups, provision of food and clothing, providing used furniture and occasional teen meals. The Men's Breakfast held at Appleby on the first Saturday of the month (except July and August) provides financial support to the OCC Friday breakfasts.
Partnership West Food Bank
The Appleby congregation strongly supports the Partnership West Food Bank through donations of time, food and financial assistance.
For more than 10 years, Appleby's annual backpack project has provided school supplies to hundreds of children of Burlington families with financial limitations.
Bill Shackleton Place - A Rent-Geared-to-Income Housing Development in Burlington
Appleby Church initiated the establishment of this 54-unit townhouse community and we continue to have a representative on the Board.
Global Outreach is a subcommittee of the Outreach Committee meeting regularly to study global outreach opportunities and provide support to:
- Canadian Central American Relief Effort - we provide funds to the Educational Sponsorship Program for students living in the Merendon Mountains of Guatemala. Appleby supports a community of people who welcomed us during humanitarian trips to the area in 2002, 2003, 2004..
- Sleeping Children around the World - we help fund the suppy of bed kits to children in need in under-developed and developing countries.
- Operation Christmas Child (Samaritan's Purse) - Appleby members provide shoeboxes filled with Christmas gifts for children around the world.
- Hope for Sierra Leone/Helping Hands Each year, some of the proceeds from the annual golf tournament are donated to this project.
- Kiva - We support the Kiva project making small loans to entrepreneurs in developing countries
Syrian Family Resettlement
We also support the United Church of Canada's Mission and Service Fund, which helps with hundreds of valuable projects here in Canada and throughout the world